Saturday, 27 September 2008

I'd like to pretend this show gets on my Tittifers...


Bear with me on this one - I love In The Night Garden. Controversial? Perhaps. Because as a general rule, all children's shows really get on my goat. And don't even get me started on children's TV presenters. I mean, I understand that they're talking to toddlers and young children, but are kids really that stupid!? They should bear in mind that the parents of these children are in ear shot of their 'zany' antics and their stage-school induced joie de vivre, and should therefore tone it down a notch. How do these people act in normal society? Do they have dinner parties and place the hors d'ouvres in the shape of a smiley face? Do they shout in the faces of their guests and play children's rhymes as lounge music?




Well, I wasn't going to get in to children's TV presenters, but there you have a snap shot of my feelings on that subject.




So - back to In The Night Garden. I LOVE it. It's made by the same folk that brought us those heinous characters, the Teletubbies. That's the only downfall to ITNG. The teletubbies I'm quite sure, are evil. I find them sinister and disturbing.




But ITNG is great - it's a show comprising of a whole load of freaky looking creatures that loll about a garden making squeaks and repeating their names over and over again. But the narrator has the most soothing voice. He may be talking a load of tripe ("round and round, a little boat, no bigger than your hand...") but he has an hypnotic element to his voice that lulls you in to a trance. And the music that accompanies the programme... well. I've since thrown out my 'Whales in Mating Season' relaxation cd in favour of this. Yes - there IS a cd to accompany the ITNG series. And I have it. This is the kind of cd that people need to listen to when in labour, when trying to relax, when the kids have gone to bed and you're needing to unwind, when you just need to feel like all's right with the world.


I think my love for In The Night Garden may be classed as a guilty pleasure, because there's no way that I'd openly admit to this nugget of information at a social event with my peers. But I feel relieved of the burden by bearing my soul on here instead. Probably because I can't see you screwing your faces up thinking... what the...?! But... is there anybody feeling the same way?! Do you folks across the pond even have this show? Tell me I'm not alone in my thinking that the only way to world peace is through the narrator, Derek Jacobi?


Come - join with me as we pack the kids off the bed and listen uninterrupted to the gentle squeaks of Iggle Piggle, appreciate the cleanliness (if not OCD) of Makka Pakka, and be cheered by the chirping of the Tittifers. You know you want to...

5 comments:

McCrazy's said...

Hey... I came to investigate your blog since you took pity on me and left a comment on mine. You are a crack-up! I had some great chuckles going... but anyway... no, we here on the other side of the pond do not have the Garden show. Although I could use something soothing right about now. But I totally agree with your theory on demonic Teletubbies. Thank so much!

Simply Shannon said...

Hmmmm...never heard of it, but it does look mildly disturbing. I swear that all of the creators of children's shows these days are serious drug addicts. How else do you explain it?
I'm glad that you found one that is not only tolerable but soothing.

Carol said...

OK I will concur his voice is delightfully hypnotic. But the rest of the show? Awful. We don't watch it. But my boys are a little bit too old for it and it has no toilet humour which is what we really appreciate in this household.

Kids TV presenters? Loathsome. I can't watch anything with adults acting like they should be in a mental health facility.

Melissa Bastow said...

Wow. I don't know what else to say.

We don't have this show here, so I had to check out a few clips on youtube. It was spell-binding. Really. TOTALLY better than Telletubbies. Or Boobah (have you seen that one? Yikes.)

Shauna said...

I love your blog :)