Monday, 5 January 2009

Slave to the blog

In case any of you were wondering, (and I'd like to think that loads of you were...) I'm still here. Show of hands that thought I'd fallen off the face of the earth. No? Well... thanks for the blow to my self esteem.



Anyhoo. I've been in this love/hate relationship with my blog for the past couple of weeks. I love having a outlet and being able to type a whole load of guff on here, and for people to comment and know, or at least tell me they know how I feel. I love reading other people's blogs, and they really do make me laugh out loud and smile, and say aww.



But recently, I've felt like a bit of a slave to my blog. I've almost had 'blog suicide' on my mind. You know how when you were at school and you loved a particular subject, and then you had to write a big essay for it, and then your love diminished and instead you were left with feelings of dread, unwanted responsibility and resentment for the subject you once loved? No? Again... must just be me. But this is how I've been feeling about my blog of late.



I'd been too busy one week to type anything, and then it started playing on my mind...



"I've not typed in my blog for ages. I really ought to. Maybe I can fit it in tonight after putting the washing away.. after the gym.. after I've stuffed my face on ASDA's foamy fruits".



"It's been a wee while now.. I really OUGHT to. I'm late in typing something. It's been ages. Well, I'm not going to. Just to show that I can control myself and that I'm not a slave to my blog. How do you like them apples? I'm not going to even log on to my computer just to show that I will not be controlled by this need to write a load of cack and share it with the world. Ok - maybe not world, maybe like 10 people across the planet. But still."



"OK... it's been a wee while. I think I've shown my blog who's boss. Maybe I'll pay a wee visit. Maybe I'm sick of interacting with people in the real life world and would like to play with my friends on my blog."



Anyway. I've made a new year resolution in light of all these feelings of resentful loyalty and love/hate for my blog. I'm going to keep my blog and still update it, but maybe not so frequently.

Besides. If i spend less time on my blog, it means I'll have more time to spend on Facebook and other such worthy ventures...

6 comments:

Beeswax said...

Please don't commit blog suicide (blogicide?). I have a grand scheme where we become fast blog friends and meet up in ten years or something in a pub in Edinburgh and have a laugh over a root beer. Except there probly won't be any root beer there, I learned that in London, so we will have to drink Fanta or Diet Coke. Even though I'm off caffeine, cause it makes me blog suicidal. Not really. Just jittery. And I like Fanta quite a lot, anyhow.

So anyhow, don't do away with your online self. Just don't let your online self boss your real self about. Right?

Trying to Stay Calm! said...

So happy you are back! I missed you! L♥ve Ya Lots! (((HUGS))) :) Shauna

Melissa Bastow said...

I had my hand up....just so you know.

Can I join you and Beeswax getting that Fanta? I like the red kind....do they have the red kind there? Except if I'm tired I would probably just go with the Diet Coke anyway.

Oh, and no blog suicide....really. I would get too bored without your runner junk flopping/Kenny G loving posts.

Jen said...

You are killing me! I seriously wait around for you to post something. And if you dump the blog I will be so sad. Hopefully, your bloggy funk will do for you what mine did for me and get rid of all those irritating issues. That way you can relax, and entertain me on a semi-regular basis:)

(And can I come when you and Beeswax get together? I visited her for the first time the other day, and I could totally put down a rootbeer with that girl...)

Jen said...

Oooo, I just saw that Melissa is in on the party. I should have known she'd hang around this blog - wait - I think she's how I FOUND this blog! She rocks. And now I'm planning on our little party.

Maike said...

You were on blogging holiday! Like you I didn't just stay away from blogging I also didn't look at other blogs because I always take way too much time reading everything and getting sidetracked. I need to find a happy medium.
But YOU cannot just stop blogging completely, how will I get my medicine of laughter?